A student who wishes to appeal a final course grade or an academic policy decision must abide by the procedures that follow.
All academic grievances, with all documents, recommendations, and decisions, will be reported to the Academic Dean. Because the appeal process is at a private university, administrative process, legal counsel, or representation is not appropriate.
A final grade appeal involves only those situations in which a student believes that an instructor: (a) has not followed fair grading practice or (b) has not followed published grading policy. A student who wishes to appeal a final grade based on one or both of these reasons must follow these procedures:
- The student must first contact the instructor for full explanation of the grade given and the basis for assigning the grade.
- If there is no resolution, then the student may file a grade appeal request form (available on MyOCU), and any supporting documents to email@example.com. If a properly completed grade appeal request form is not received by the University within 6 weeks of the end date of the course indicated in SONIS, then the student will forfeit any further right to appeal.
- After the University receives the grade appeal request form, it will be forwarded to the instructor for a response.
- The Academic Appeals Committee will meet to review the form and submitted documents. The decision of the committee will be final and binding upon all parties.
Academics Policy Grievance
An academic policy grievance involves those situations in which a student believes that the University has not followed published academic policies (which are contained in the AGS Catalog) regarding an academic decision. A student who wishes to file an academic policy grievance must follow these procedures:
- It is recommended that the student first contact the person who has made the decision for a full explanation of the policy and how the policy was followed.
- The student may request that the matter be reviewed by the Academic Appeals Committee by filing a formal request in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Academic Appeals Committee will notify the student of the decision in writing. If a properly completed written request is not received by the university within 30 calendar days of the date on which the event that gave rise or the complaint occurs, then the student will forfeit any further right to appeal.
- The student may appeal the Academic Appeals Committee decision to the Academic Dean, College of Adult and Graduate Studies, by submission of a written request to email@example.com. If the university does not receive a properly completed written request within 15 calendar days of the date on which the notice in step 2 was sent, then the student will forfeit any further right to appeal. The decision of the Academic Appeals Committee will be final and binding upon all parties.